preteen (adjective); relating to a child just under the age of thirteen.
Preteens can be awkward at times. I am confident that most kids who fall into the preteen age category would confirm that for you. Even the definition seems a little indirect on how to define them. It can be difficult. Socially, emotionally and mentally, preteens are being exposed to more mature material, but they may be no more ready to deal with it than we were at their age. And, with advancements in social media and technology in general, preteens are being exposed to things I was exposed to in my middle school years.
How can we adjust? How can we best help them during this stage of their lives?
- Love them. The moments when you want to be as far away from your preteen as possible (hypothetically) are most likely when they need your love and support the most. Communicate to them that you are there for them at a moment’s notice, and no topic is off limits for them to bring to you for help.
- Understand them. Get onto their level and spend time with them. Ask them questions that allow them to express themselves while you learn to relate to them. Spend time doing things they love as they are able to share that part of their lives with you.
- Socialize them. According to experts, the number one need in a life of an adolescent is positive interaction with adults and peers. Allow environments for them to create positive relationships with friends that will grow into positive influences for years to come.
- Summit Events on Monday nights. These monthly events vary in theme and focus, but are always a safe environment for kids to form new relationships and grow old relationships outside of weekend services.
- Summer Camps! Bible Sports Camp is June 18-22. VBS is July 16-20. Register your kiddo for these potentially life-changing experiences with friends.
- Family-Friendly Reach Out Events!
- Family Night with Illusionists David and Teesha Laflin | Join us on April 27th from 6:30-8:00pm. This will be an all-ages night of unbelievable illusions. David and Teesha rival any large scale magic show you’ve seen before. This is a great opportunity to invite friends and family to be a part of a night they won’t soon forget. Admission is free and we will have childcare up to 2 years old.
- #foraurora | We are so excited for our first annual #foraurora week. June 3-9 we will have service opportunities every night of the week and we’re hoping for 100% participation from everyone who is a part of Eastern Hills, including families and kids!
The most important thing your preteen needs to know from you is that you love them … even when they might seem a little awkward.